On Tuesday 01 January 2002 01:38, you wrote:
> On 31 Dec 2001 20:05:55 -0500, Michael Leone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >I think Civileme's point was that if/when the UCITA law passes in
> > >Washington, USA, then Microsoft (headquartered in Washington) will be
> > >able to make a minor change to their proprietary .doc/.xls/whatever
> > >file formats, and it will be illegal for Sun or anyone else to
> > >reverse-engineer that file format to create a new filter for their
> > >competing office suite.
> >
> > Sun licenses the file formats from MS, don't they? They didn't
> > reverse-engineer them, I thought.
>
> Nope, they are reverse-engineered. That's why it has taken so long for the
> filters to reach their present level of quality (which is very good).
Calling it "reverse engineered" is a little of a dangerous reach, (in my
HUMBLE opinion), my guess is a lot of the info is from APIs released by M$,
to allow third parties to be able to write macros and other programs that
will work with M$ applications, the rest would be "obvious" to someone
studying, say, word processor programing.