Dave Sherman wrote:

>I agree that we need the filters for now, but it would still be wise to
>stop using MS' proprietary formats ASAP. As far as using LaTeX, is there
>a free and easy to use LaTeX editor/"word processor" for Windows and
>Macintosh? Just curious -- actually, I thought LaTeX was a document
>layout/markup language for professional publishing, but not something
>typically used for word processing. I am betting you need to convert
>your documents to a different format for others (non-Linux users) to
>read, yes?

LyX is very easy to use (see www.lyx.org) and is available for Windows
(not sure about Mac). It uses LaTeX as its default backend (which makes
Windows installation a bit of a pain, since you have to install (La)TeX
first).  Sure, I have to convert to something else (usually PDF) is I
want to send files to Windows users, but it's a small price to pay.  One
advantage of LaTeX is that it's very easy to convert to whatever format
you want: DVI, PS, PDF, HTML, SGML - you name it.

Robin