>I think Civileme's point was that if/when the UCITA law passes in
>Washington, USA, then Microsoft (headquartered in Washington) will be
>able to make a minor change to their proprietary .doc/.xls/whatever
>file formats, and it will be illegal for Sun or anyone else to
>reverse-engineer that file format to create a new filter for their
>competing office suite.

Sun licenses the file formats from MS, don't they? They didn't
reverse-engineer them, I thought.

Michael J. Leone                  Registered Linux user #201348
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    ICQ: 50453890     AIM: MikeLeone

PGP public key:
<http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.gpg>

Foreman, roving paving crew, Dept. of Roads, Hades.