Dave Sherman wrote:

>On Tue, 2002-01-01 at 08:51, robin wrote:
>
>>Dave Sherman wrote:
>>
>>[cut]
>>
>>>I think Civileme's point was that if/when the UCITA law passes in
>>>Washington, USA, then Microsoft (headquartered in Washington) will be
>>>able to make a minor change to their proprietary .doc/.xls/whatever file
>>>formats, and it will be illegal for Sun or anyone else to
>>>reverse-engineer that file format to create a new filter for their
>>>competing office suite. And if anyone DOES reverse-engineer the file
>>>format, then MS can sue them to smithereens, and even try to go for a
>>>prison sentence, since their EULA will carry the force of law.
>>>
>>I can't seriously see this happening.  Microsoft had enough political
>>and economic clout to survive getting sued by Netscape et al., but they
>>don't have the clout to sue Sun - it would be suicidal.
>>

>Maybe. But they *could* sue OpenOffice.org, and probably shut it down,
>which would effectively slow, if not stop, development of StarOffice as
>well.
>
>>I suspect the real reason for the paucity of .doc filters is that it is
>>such a yucky format that writing a good filter is more trouble than it's
>>worth. wv does a passable job but is far from perfect, and even Star
>>Office only got it right with version 6.0.
>>

>It is a yucky *and* an undocumented format. This means it requires
>anyone to reverse engineer it before they can write a filter for it. If
>you check the OpenOffice.org website, you will see that they were forced
>to re-write the MS Office filters from scratch, because the StarOffice
>filters were under an NDA from Sun. It wasn't because of MS licensing,
>but Sun itself was standing in the way (this may, on second thought, be
>a carry-over from Sun's purchase of StarOffice from the German Star
>company that originally developed the software).
>
>But here's another scary example, to which Civileme alluded: Samba. What
>will happen if/when UCITA passes in Washington state, and Microsoft sues
>the Samba team for reverse-engineering their proprietary software and
>network protocols? If we are lucky, Samba will be able to continue
>working outside the US, in one or more countries that are willing to
>largely ignore US extradition requests (or more accurately, that are so
>difficult to deal with that MS won't even bother). And any US-based
>Samba developers will need to leave the team, because MS can go after
>them individually -- again, for both monetary compensation and
>imprisonment. One need only look at Adobe's ridiculous actions with
>regard to Dmitri Sklyarov to realize that MS will not hesitate to try
>the same thing with any known Samba developer that they can reach.
>
>>>Civileme's further point, to which Doug balked, was that we should all
>>>be looking to move away from MS' (or anyone else's, for that matter)
>>>proprietary file formats, as a pre-emptive move so that we are not
> [...]
Well, the output of Tetex/LaTeX, if printed to a file, is postscript
format, printer-ready just about anywhere, and readable by adobe acrobat
reader and other programs.

LyX is a document processor close to WYSIWYG that runs cross-platform
(yes, windows too) which is indispensible if you are dealing with lots
of special symbols, margin notes, footnotes, and so on and you don't
want to learn native LaTeX commands.

KLyX was written for the Qt widget set and X ain a marathon session to
show how effective Qt widgets could be.  It has great potential if
developed.

A very nice translator was written quite a while ago called SDF, which
can convert postscript, SGML, HTML, pdf and oher formats.  It also has
its own metalanguage for making documents.  It too runs on Windows as
well as on others though some Microsoft license agreements might be
violated in the latest versions of windows (the Netkit is licensed
against living under the same roof with GPL software and Perl--at least
Microsoft's atttorneys haven't required that all Microsoft competitiors
be addressed as "the dolts" in their license agreements, yet--.-)

It seems you have managed with my help, Doug, to begin a deathless
thread.  Congrats!  And have a good 2002.

Civileme