> Hello folks,
> Well, I was more than disappointed to find that the WIN4LIN inclusion
> in 8.1 wasn't real - just a demo.
> Very poor PR on Mandrake's part to do that. It isn't an included
> package - more like someone else's E-brochure.
>
> Anyone using Win4Lin or WINE out there able to tell me a little about
> their experiences?
> I need something to run FrontPage98 and Thumbsplus and with all the
> complaints out there still, probably Word as well. :-(
> I do have a copy of Wordperfect for Linux - any comments?

I use WP8 for Linux and it works perfectly--reads .doc files, no problem (why
does word use .doc by default when rtf is just as good and retains all the
Word format?).  There is some setup stuff you should know about, and you may
need the wp8filtrix patch, if you have the downloaded version of WP8.  There
is a pretty good thread with the gotchas (minor, you need to install
ld.so-1.9.11-4mdk.i586 (its on the 7.2 disk 1, if you have it), and libc5 on
the mdk second disk (of 8.0 I think, probably on 8.1, too).

> I have M8.0 and was wondering if it was worth buying a  std pak 8.1
> and HOPING to get a bit further than with 8.0 ..... Still have no
> sound, no CD, lousy onscreen fonts.

Control Panel>LookNFeel>Fonts   and choose lucidatypewriter for Fixed
Width--helvetica for all others.

Did you run sndconfig from init3?  Is your soundcard supported?

If you have no CD, how did you install?  Or do you mean a CDwriter isn't
showing up?  Lots of stuff on that!

> I am going to have to do a complete re-install anyway as I've lost
> the SU/root password..............  :-(

Actually,  losing a password isn't the end of the world.  I once did this
myself, and it's fairly simple.

reboot and type

linux init=/bin/sh rw

at the LILO prompt.  This will boot into the non-protected root shell.  GRUB
requires you to hit the 'e' key twice and add

init=/bin/sh rw             to the boot command, the ENTER then 'b' to boot

when the sytem is up type

vi /etc/passwd

The entry for root will look like this

root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

If that is what you have hit ESC and then :wq!   to exit vi. If not, change
it to look like that

Check permissions with  ls -l /etc/passwd     they should be    -rw-r--r--.

Run    vi /etc/shadow

The format will be

[accountname]:[password]:[other stuff] e.g.

root:$1$KODLG[etc]:10979:0:99999:7:::

DELETE the password entry for "root" by moving the cursor to the first
character of the password (usually $) and typing      dw       Now type wq!
 which will save the file.

Now Run

sync && mount -o remount,ro /

which will write all buffer content to the disk and remount the partition
read-only.  Press CNTRL-ALT-DEL to reboot.

On the next login, type     root      for the account name and just hit the
ENTER at the 'password' prompt.  Type      password      to give 'root' a
password.

That's worked for me!

e.