Hi all,

I am having a very weird problem with my sound running a AMD K7 onboard
sound card, the Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI

The problem is that even though the volume is at 100% on the controls
the audio coming out of the speakers can only just be heard. I have been
able to determine that there is nothing wrong with the speakers as they
work AOK on my Windy box.

I have tried many things with the help of Dave Jones but still have not
been
able to solve the error. I have tried: Aumix, Timidity, CDPlayer,
Arts Builder, KDE Media Player, Midi and Karaoke Player, Midi synth,
Sound Mixer, arts control, xmms. I have also tried running the following
from a root terminal: sndconfig, kmix, gmix, umix and xmix? Three of the
*mix ones commands could not be found and the  kmix, I think had a nice
GUI with all the levels showing at 80%, all the green lights are on and
one
red light on.

There are three coloured holes on the panel which accept a 3.5mm jack
plug namely, a pink one with a mic next to it, a blue one with
headphones next to it and a green one with what looks like a speaker
next to it. I am using the blue headphones socket.

Any ideas where the fault could be or do I need to pack it back in the
box and return it to the store and tell them I'm too fffing stupid to
own a PC?
Hylton Conacher on KDE
Registered Linux user # 229959 on Mandrake 8 on an AMD  1 Ghz K7
Licenced Windows 95 user
More hardware info on request