On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, skinky wrote:

> On Sunday 27 January 2002 18:34, Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am having a very weird problem with my sound running a AMD K7 onboard
> > sound card, the Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI
> >
> > The problem is that even though the volume is at 100% on the controls
> > the audio coming out of the speakers can only just be heard. I have been
> > able to determine that there is nothing wrong with the speakers as they
> > work AOK on my Windy box.
> >
> > I have tried many things with the help of Dave Jones but still have not
> > been
> > able to solve the error. I have tried: Aumix, Timidity, CDPlayer,
> > Arts Builder, KDE Media Player, Midi and Karaoke Player, Midi synth,
> > Sound Mixer, arts control, xmms. I have also tried running the following
> > from a root terminal: sndconfig, kmix, gmix, umix and xmix? Three of the
> > *mix ones commands could not be found and the  kmix, I think had a nice
> > GUI with all the levels showing at 80%, all the green lights are on and
> > one
> > red light on.
> >
> > There are three coloured holes on the panel which accept a 3.5mm jack
> > plug namely, a pink one with a mic next to it, a blue one with
> > headphones next to it and a green one with what looks like a speaker
> > next to it. I am using the blue headphones socket.
> >
> > Any ideas where the fault could be or do I need to pack it back in the
> > box and return it to the store and tell them I'm too fffing stupid to
> > own a PC?
>
> Just a guess, but shouldn't the speakers be plugged into the green socket
> with the speaker next to it?
>
> skinky

skinky,

As a matter of fact you're correct. the line out for the speakers should
be placed in the green plugin on the sound card.

--
daRcmaTTeR
If at first you don't succeed do what your wife told you to do

Registered Linux User 182496
  9:05pm  up 5 days, 22:45,  3 users,  load average: 0.37, 0.33, 0.27