Sure.  Never use KDE or GNome.

If you ask me, which you didn't, but I'm going to tell you anyway, (lol)
KDE and Gnome were written for "converted Windows" users, with the Windows
philosphy in mind.

They are intensely bloated system hogs.  So much so that it bogs a system
down when you're not running KDE or Gnome, but want to use a KDE/Gnome app
real quick.

Example:

I'm a full time Enlightenment user.  I don't use any other WM's in conjunction
with Enlightenment, just E, and nothing else.  I opened gvim which is basically
Gnome ViM.  I've been doing a lot work with procmail lately, and it was just a
little easier to use.  With two of those open, both instances editing two or
three files, I noticed a huge performance difference.  I closed all of them, and
suddenly I was running up to normal again.

Samething goes with KDE.  I used to use ksnapshot to take  screen shots, but it
takes 15 seconds for the damn thing to load since I don't run KDE.  Because of
that, I wrote myself a screenshot script so I wouldn't have to use that thing
ever again!

I would suggest getting some more RAM.  Your machine can run on that hardware
and run very well.  Hell, for me, that's an ideal machine to uninstall XF86 and
use as my console machine.  But if you need something like KDE/Gnome, then you
need more RAM.  And lots of it.  Since KDE takes a large chunk of the RAM when it
loads, and then trying to load other hogging KDE apps.

So two suggestions.

Never, EVER, use KDE or Gnome
Upgrade your RAM to at least 128, however I would suggest 256 or more. Check out
www.crucial.com/ for inexpensive RAM prices.

Hope that helps a little.
tdh

  T. Holmes  |  UNIXTECHS.org  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  UIN:  17021091