If you must use kde or gnome as your window manager, get more ram.  It`s
reletively cheap now.

I`ve run xwindows and windowmaker and netscape on a 486sx25MHz before with
64MB ram.

If you type   top   you`ll see what ram you are using and how much swap.
swap is the h/d and is slow.

ie.  get more ram.