I have to agree with Marvin.

--I'm running KDE as my window manager.  I will sometimes have UP TO 8 SESSIONS of konquer/mozilla/and various other apps open at the same time.  I never have any problems doing so.
--All this on a 333 Celeron with 162M of mem.  With the speed and "quality" of the celeron, I'm convinced it is the 162M of mem that keeps me up and running.
--Also, if you are using nautilas as you browser;  check how much mem it is using sometime.  You would be surprised.

Dave

marvin wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]">
If you must use kde or gnome as your window manager, get more ram.  It`s
reletively cheap now.

I`ve run xwindows and windowmaker and netscape on a 486sx25MHz before with
64MB ram.

If you type top you`ll see what ram you are using and how much swap.
swap is the h/d and is slow.

ie. get more ram.

Jason Ditri writes:

I just installed Mandrake 8.1 on my machine.

PIII @ 733MHz 64 MB Ram, 40 GIG HDD, With about 38 GIGs free.

After I use KDE or GNOME and browse the internet for a while (maybe 20 or 30
mins), the machines starts bogging down so bad that it takes MINUTES to open
new windows, check mail, open apps, etc etc...

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.

JD