ok this is getting silly.....

i have 2 machines, one runs win2k and one mandrake 8.1.  they have similar
chips (intel pent 550 on windows amd 750 on the linux) and the same RAM
512.  the windows machine has the faster hardrive.  yes i know 550 is
slower than 750, but not that much, not like the performance i see, and it
was linux on the slower machine before, same results.

i have 15 differnet konq apps open, mozilla, quanta, kmail an ftp program
kword and i run setiathome.  my linux box still outperforms windows on
every lvl even though i only run the "test" app in windows and everything
else is still running in linux! (granted i do not, will not, not ever use
IE even on windows, so i can't compare its performance)  _what_on_earth_ is
going on that we have people complaining about performance?

have these people not taken the kernel upgrade advice (at least to
2.4.17-7mdk) to fix virtual memory?  are they running every service they
can?  what?

it is hard for me to believe that i can get my linux box on almost the same
hardware as the windows box to totally crush windows performance on things
like opening web pages, opening large images, transfering files, copy work
and even fps in halflife with a default (other than the kernel i mentioned)
install, yet they can't!

what are we over looking?  what can they change?

On Saturday 09 February 2002 09:39, you spoke unto me thusly:

--
Vini, vidi, Linux.  I came, I saw, I got a real OS.

shane
registered linux user @ http://counter.li.org/
http://shentzu.home.mindspring.com/
Proud to be a DMOZ editor since 10-98