On Friday 22 February 2002 07:55 am, Lúcio Costa de Almeida wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After the kernel upgrading using kernel-2.4.34.mdk.rpm

    If you did "upgrade", that's probly most of the problem. Kernels
should always be "installed", eg,  'rpm -ivh <kernel--rpm>'  This
installs the new kernel alongside your existing kernel, places the
proper files in /boot, makes the necessary links, and edits lilo (or
grub) and runs 'lilo' to write the changes.  You should then have both
the new kernel and your old one(s) as choices when you boot.

> file, I can't  start the system.
> I initialized the computer with a boot disk.
> I looked in the directory /boot and I didn't find any
> file vmlinuz.

     Try to 'rpm -ivh' the kernel rpm in again.  You'll likely need to
use 'rpm -ivh --force' since you'll probly get an "already installed"
error.  If that doesn't fix it, the easiest thing to do would be to
boot the install CD and choose 'upgrade'. Unselect any new packages,
and you can skip thru most stuff that's already setup like X, internet
connection, and partitions, etc. Should only take a few minutes.

     You might also want to take a look at
  http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/install/index.html#ku
for a better understanding of what you did wrong. I suggest you read
'em all, but particularly 'Page Four (Troubleshooting)'
--
    Tom Brinkman                       Corpus Christi, Texas, USA