----- Original Message -----
From: "Lee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Rick [Kitty5]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2002 10:59 AM
Subject: Re: [newbie] Minimizing the cult factor

> So (beat me with a stick) I have to have a Windows box right here next to
my
> Linux box.

Hope I've got the right poster here :-)) As a total linux newbie I will add
my two pennorth - I work as a coordinator and support person for housebound
people - repairing pcs, getting them on the net etc etc. Whatever the level
of skill, everyone here on this list is, by default, either a full blown
'techie' of some sort or an enthusiast who wants to learn more about OS
innards. I would go further and say that everyone with a linux PC falls more
or less in those categories. The day I can take a linux box round to one of
my clients, and say 'there you go, you can get on and install your
games/ISP/favourite app..' and leave them to it is the day linux will have
blown windows away. I've been at it for a week and still haven't sussed how
to get 2 way communication going between linux and windows, and learning
this OS is going to take a hell of a lot of reading, swearing and sleepless
nights :-)) I'm loving every minute of rediscovering my own stupidity, but I
am not the average computer owner, and neither are any of you! I suspect
that nearly all of us have 2 pcs at least running both windows and linux
(apologies for sweeping statement :-)). Mr and Mrs Average have just one,
and whats more, they want to turn it on, do their thing, turn it off and
forget about it. Giving them linux would be rather like chucking them an
unprogrammed cisco router and saying 'off you go and connect to the net!'
Thats where windows scores, and what linux will have to offer eventually to
take the market share away from M$. Thats my contribution - I'll crawl back
down my hole now and figure out how to remove linneighbourhood when package
manager keeps crashing :-))

Heather