Must congratulate you, I believe you're right on the money my dear.

Heather Reed wrote:

> > So (beat me with a stick) I have to have a Windows box right here next to
> my
> > Linux box.
> >

> Hope I've got the right poster here :-)) As a total linux newbie I will add
> my two pennorth - I work as a coordinator and support person for housebound
> people - repairing pcs, getting them on the net etc etc. Whatever the level
> of skill, everyone here on this list is, by default, either a full blown
> 'techie' of some sort or an enthusiast who wants to learn more about OS
> innards. I would go further and say that everyone with a linux PC falls more
> or less in those categories.

And if we weren't we wouldn't enjoy beating ourselves over the head with
this OS I think.

The day I can take a linux box round to one of
> my clients, and say 'there you go, you can get on and install your
> games/ISP/favourite app..' and leave them to it is the day linux will have
> blown windows away. I've been at it for a week and still haven't sussed how
> to get 2 way communication going between linux and windows, and learning
> this OS is going to take a hell of a lot of reading, swearing and sleepless
> nights :-)) I'm loving every minute of rediscovering my own stupidity, but I
> am not the average computer owner, and neither are any of you!

See!??? Damn, am I prescient or what ;P

I suspect
> that nearly all of us have 2 pcs at least running both windows and linux
> (apologies for sweeping statement :-)). Mr and Mrs Average have just one,
> and whats more, they want to turn it on, do their thing, turn it off and
> forget about it. Giving them linux would be rather like chucking them an
> unprogrammed cisco router and saying 'off you go and connect to the net!'
> Heather

So true.  *sigh*  Had something similar done to me.  It was called
windows 95 after a 5 year gap w/out a PC. Oh the headaches!

FF