i think the letter from employer is probably an automaticly added signature that the company puts on themselves.
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Dimitris Ioannou
Sent: 12 March 2002 10:49
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Mandrake's financial situation

Hello to you Richard

From what I have read visiting Mandrakes home page I understand that they really are in trouble so I hurried and subscribe myself to the Mandrake Users Club and intending to buy the new 8.2 Release to support them more.They face, I think, the dilemma of cutting out personnel in order to cut their expenses which are by far bigger than their revenues. It goes without saying, that this will affect the development of their future releases. I think everyone should support an excellent OS like LM since everyone benefits from the use of it, or it's existence, whatever you prefer. After all, the cost (60USD per year is too little compared to what one should pay when using M$ XP for instance.

Regards

Dimitris

P.S. Question: I really didn't understand what the letter of your employer that you are enclosing is about.Why did he sent you this and what is this has to do with Mandrake's need for money? Forgive me if I, sometimes, am slowminded and don't understand some things.

  Ο/Η "Barran, Richard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> έγραψε:

Morning all,

I've received a very interesting "Mandrake Community Newsletter" this
morning. I'm including here the two most relevant paragraphs:

"
Even though all of us here at MandrakeSoft are excited about the
upcoming release, we've also been distracted by financial concerns.
Despite continuous good reviews in the press; despite having millions
of users throughout the world; despite producing an award-winning Linux
distribution that is a solid competitor to both UNIX and Window$, the
Mandrake Linux distribution's short-term future is in jeopardy due to a
simple factor: money.

As a company, we make our revenue by selling packaged versions of the
distribution and by delivering services such as consulting, training,
etc. -- but our development costs and community-based services are not
yet covered by income. It is estimated that! we will "break even" by the
end of 2002, but it is unlikely that MandrakeSoft can remain unchanged
during these next few months without drastically cutting costs unless
additional revenue is generated quickly.
"

The newsletter then goes on to urge people to sign up to Mandrake Club ASAP.
I received a newsletter from the Club yesterday which also hinted at
"financial troubles".
I haven't seen this mentioned yet by anyone on either this list or on the
expert list. Is this a bit of scaremongering or is Mandrake really in dire
straits?

Regards,

Richard

PS Here follows a short message from my employer's legal department...

recipient(s) only and are confidential and may be privileged.
If they have come to you in error you must take no action based
on them, nor must y! ou copy or disclose them or any part of
their contents to any person or organisation; please notify the
sender immediately and delete this e-mail and its attachments from
your computer system.

Please note that Internet communications are not necessarily secure
and may be changed, intercepted or corrupted. We advise that
you understand and observe this lack of security when e-mailing us
and we will not accept any liability for any such changes,
interceptions or corruptions.

Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and its
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping
with good computing practice the recipient should ensure they
are actually virus free.

Copyright in this e-mail and attachments created by us belongs
to Littlewoods.

Littlewoods takes steps to prohibit the transmission of offensive,
obscene or discriminatory material. If this message contains
inapprop! riate material please forward the e-mail intact to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] and it will be investigated.
Statements and opinions contained in this e-mail may not
necessarily represent those of Littlewoods.

Please note that e-mail communication may be monitored.

Registered office:
Littlewoods Retail Limited,
Sir John Moores Building,
100 Old Hall Street,