On Wednesday 13 March 2002 03:47, Tom Brinkman wrote:
[snippet]

>    Last, and probly the least contribution (Mandrake doesn't make
> much, the middle men do) is to buy Mandrake in a store like
> Wal*Mart or Best Buy, or other retail outlet.

The one thing to be said in favour of this is that buying Mandrake
(or whatever) encourages retail stores to keep stocking it, thus
improving the visibility of the product, and of Linux in general.
Here in Ankara, you don't see Linux distros in shops, though it's
started making an appearance on the street (literally) next to all
the pirated games and Windows CDs.

Actually, the fact that you can pick up Windows 98/Me/2000 on the
street for about $2 is probably one reason why Linux is still a
rarity in Turkey - when Windows costs the same as two beers, the free
speech vs. free beer distinction becomes academic.  Paradoxically,
pirating helps proprietary software by making sure the alternatives
are ignored.

In case anyone's interested, here's how I obtained my various distros:

Office box: all FTP downloads from our university mirror, currently
running 8.1.

Home box:

RH 6.0 - Cheapbytes
Mandrake 7.0 - CD free with a computer magazine.
Mandrake 7.2 - Cheapbytes
Mandrake 8.0 - off the street

I may get a boxed set for 8.2 - the download edition may well work
out cheaper than Cheapbytes, when shipping is taken into
consideration.  I'd take a lot of persuading to buy the powerpack,
though.

Robin

--
"Give me the views, and I'll give you the arguments." - Chrysippus

Robin Turner
IDMYO, Bilkent Universitesi
Ankara 06533
Turkey