Ha there folks,
Well, a new machine and same result.
I purchased the full bottle M8.0 and need to get SOME value back :-)
Many people complained of it not being very successful and it failed for me
several times on 3 machines.
It would seem to install ok to a degree - but only in text mode, despite my
trying to ensure it would be graphic.

I have now even bought a Jetway moboard as I was told it was lux friendly.
SIS 630T chipset
It has O/b video AGP4x shared mem amount immaterial as I've seen so far.
O/b sound AC'97
P3 667 Chip

No graphics install by M8.0
No sound
BTW: I've never been able to get sound working on any prior system.

Advice requested please:

1. In the manuals I can find no reference to "going GUI" from dreaded
Terminal mode.  Can one?
I tried F1 and select other options at bootup but it will not accept any
change from L3 to L5

2. As I paid for the presentation of 1000's of programs with the retail
Powerpak, is there a chance that I could use say a 2 disk minimalist set of
8.1 ( or 2) to get a start and then install the programs I want from the 8.0
Set?

Note: In Australia north of Brisbane we not only put our clocks back, but
Telecom can't see why I REALLY need to be on the Internet. I average a D/l
speed of  1.8 overall ( I quit when it often gets to 1.0 or less) and lose
about one in two of any large (10Megs+) downloads. I've officially been told
"voice capability is good enough and they aren't obliged to demonstrate more
than 9600 Bd capability........ unless I want to spend a few hundred per
week on ADSL or........... so using the disks, not to mention the $140 spent
on them seems a good idea.

3. What is the vote nowadays - my figures show 50/50 for 8.1 and 8.2 re user
install/working satisfaction.

4. If Mandrake can't for some reason detect a graphics card, should it not
say so? Or will it simply default to a Terminal/text install?

Thanks and
Cheers,

John

---