Hi Civileme,
Thanks for the info.
However, you didn't answer some of the points such as re getting FROM text
to GUI via the command line. Is there a way?
Couple of others I've prefaced with ******** if you wouldn't mind.....

******** Would this be safe?

******* Re above question - and should I go for 8.1?

******** As this has happened before, I would like to know this info.

******** You said problems with "530". Did you mean 530 or slip from 630?

> It makes no sense for the install to come up text without any graphics.
> But if the install does, then your CDs are seriously damaged (at least
> one run of the pressed CDs had trouble with a RAMDisk).  It might try to
> come up text if you have less than 64M RAM since the 630 shares 8M of
> main memory with video memory which makes a 32M setup really offer only
> 24M to the system.  In that case you would be fortunate to install at
> all.
********* Well, I had 512 on the last system and 384 on this one, so RAm
wasn't a problem.
There may be a disk problem - although there was no failure evident -
everything else went according to schedule except it won't run as GUI.

Thanks,

John

---