On Saturday 06 April 2002 5:59 am, Seedkum Aladeem wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a chance that there may be an LM 8.2.x bug fix version.released?
>
> Seedkum

Why bother? The neat new feature that invites  installers to download the
errata at the end of the install process in an ideal way to cut out a large
proportion of the difficulties newbies suffer. I lost count of how many posts
there were about things like "my floppy does not work", or "my computer hangs
in shutdown after closing the usb ports" we had with 8.1 because users did
not think of checking the errata pages. Some errata have appeared already.
Some of the problems fixed have already been aired in this list.

While it is doubtless true that some users will find 8.2 has a problem not
present in 8.1 I am sure that for the bulk of users 8.2 will be a delight.
My personal experience is that 8.2 is a lot faster- My laptop can now run KDE
whereas before I had to use a light window manager, and all the Mandrake
tools are a lot slicker and execute a lot faster. For example in 8.1 software
manager would take an eternity to fill its lists and synchronise to an ftp
server. In 8.2 it comes up in a few seconds.

Of course there are still issues with 8.2. Two items I have found which have
not been mentioned yet on the list AFAIK are:-

The checkinstall rpm seems to be broken.-  The rpm on the checkinstall site
however works perfectly.

The kreatecd rpm has been compiled badly so some features will not work.
Compiling from source from the kreatecd site is necessary.

derek