> I have several thousand mp3's I would like to convert to OGG.

Hmm.

Probably I would do this in a script. I belivee mpg123 has a
decode option to wav and then you can take the wav output and
use oggenc to convert it to an ogg file.

mpg123 -s does seem to send the stream to stdout, but it
doesn't seem to be enough to provide a file that oggenc can
recognize. On a test mp3 I tried it on, it seems to process the
file rather too quickly, and the file is fairly large, but 'file'
only says it's data. oggenc doesn't recognize it as a supported
format. However, mpg123 is supposed to output in raw 16 bit sample
mode, something that oggenc is supposed to handle.

You might need to filter the output of mpg123 through 'sox' and then
to oggenc, perhaps. Sox is one bitch of a program to figure out,
though. I'd do some experiments with switches and once you find the
magic incantation, use that as part of the script. Wrong switches will
generally produce *very& strange sounding files :).

At any rate I'd be inclined to use a pipe so that you don't have
huge temporary files lying around.

And probably someone has developed an easy to use shell or perl
script to do this already :).