--- Sridhar Dhanapalan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
&eacgr;&ggr;&rgr;&agr;&psgr;&egr;: > On 24 Apr 2002 00:59:05 -0400, Lyvim Xaphir
> [...]
> >
> > [elx@tamriel tmp]$ time sox -V ggordon4-23-02b.wav
> ggordon4-23-02b.ogg
> > sox: Detected file format type: wav
> >
> > sox: Chunk fmt
> > sox: Chunk data
> > sox: Reading Wave file: Microsoft PCM format, 2
> channels, 44100 samp/sec
> > sox:         176400 byte/sec, 4 block align, 16
> bits/samp, 249786368
> > data bytes
> > sox: Input file ggordon4-23-02b.wav: using sample
> rate 44100
> >         size shorts, encoding signed (2's
> complement), 2 channels
> > sox: Input file ggordon4-23-02b.wav: comment
> "ggordon4-23-02b.wav"
> >
> > Channels: 2  Rate: 44100
> > sox: Output file ggordon4-23-02b.ogg: using sample
> rate 44100
> >         size shorts, encoding signed (2's
> complement), 2 channels
> > sox: Output file: comment "ggordon4-23-02b.wav"
> >
> > 363.00user 3.42system 6:09.99elapsed 99%CPU
> (0avgtext+0avgdata
> > 0maxresident)k
> > 0inputs+0outputs (294major+334minor)pagefaults
> 0swaps
> > [elx@tamriel tmp]$ ls ggordon4-23-02b.*
> > ggordon4-23-02b.ogg  ggordon4-23-02b.wav
> > [elx@tamriel tmp]$ ll ggordon4-23-02b.*
> > -rw-rw-r--    1 elx      elx      20739735 Apr 24
> 00:20
> > ggordon4-23-02b.ogg
> > -rw-rw-r--    1 elx      elx      249786412 Apr 24
> 00:10
> > ggordon4-23-02b.wav
> > [elx@tamriel tmp]$

> > As you can see, it really sucks the cpu power. I
> was able to operate OK
> > while it was running, but I've got a 964 mhz
> Athlon here.
> >
> > Sorry it took so long to get back with you, but by
> the time you asked
> > your question, I had already eliminated all wav's
> on my system; the one
> > above I had to generate on purpose so I could get
> you some decent
> > timing  numbers.  I think the result is well worth
> the intensive time; I
> > did'nt notice a lag here, but then I did'nt put
> any additional stress on
> > the cpu either.  A 240 or so meg wav file
> converted to a 20 meg ogg in a
> > little over 6 minutes. :)
>
> It's situations like this that make the nice and
> renice commands very handy. My
> system is a Pentium II 350MHz, which is not a speed
> daemon by any standard. I
> can encode MPEG videos to DivX format using mencoder
> (part of MPlayer) AND
> handle all my web browsing and e-mail at the same
> time, simply by giving
> mencoder a nice value of around 10. It works great
> when I'm compiling code as
> well. Of course, everything is slower, but it's
> still usable.
>
> --
> Sridhar Dhanapalan
>
>       Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night.
>       Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest

MandrakeSoft?

> Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

I've tried many times to install the mplayer rpm that
I d/l from the web (actually, I tried several
versions) but it seems impossible. It installs itself
but I can never get it to work. The latest incident
was this that I'm describing below. (That was when I
tried to install a tarball). After running
./configure, when I got to the second step "make" the
message I got in the console was this...." We are not
and we will not going to support gcc 2.96...
                  Mplayer Team...."
I started laughing when I saw this and after that I
never tried to install it again since I know 2.96 is
the compiler of choice for Mandrake (this actually
means that it's not going to work properly on a
Mandrake system isn't it? Correct me if I'm wrong).

Any hints would be greatly appreciated Sridhar

Greetings

Dimitris Ioannou