On 24 Apr 2002 00:59:05 -0400, Lyvim Xaphir <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-04-21 at 14:16, dfox wrote:
> > That's quite impressive! I doubt mp3 would be neawrly that efficient. I
> > did some mp3 to ogg conversions on some 22050 khz (old time radio type
> > files) on one 12 meg file, ogg turned it into a 7 meg file. That's for
> > about an hour's worth of audio (lo fi of course).
> >
> > Out of curiosity, about how long did oggenc take to do that conversion?
> >
> > And did you have to replace the sore CPU afterwards? :)
>
> dfox,
>
> You are right about the sore cpu.  Look at the output of the time
> command on this sample conversion I did:
>
> [elx@tamriel tmp]$ time sox -V ggordon4-23-02b.wav ggordon4-23-02b.ogg
> sox: Detected file format type: wav
>
> sox: Chunk fmt
> sox: Chunk data
> sox: Reading Wave file: Microsoft PCM format, 2 channels, 44100 samp/sec
> sox:         176400 byte/sec, 4 block align, 16 bits/samp, 249786368
> data bytes
> sox: Input file ggordon4-23-02b.wav: using sample rate 44100
>         size shorts, encoding signed (2's complement), 2 channels
> sox: Input file ggordon4-23-02b.wav: comment "ggordon4-23-02b.wav"
>
> Channels: 2  Rate: 44100
> sox: Output file ggordon4-23-02b.ogg: using sample rate 44100
>         size shorts, encoding signed (2's complement), 2 channels
> sox: Output file: comment "ggordon4-23-02b.wav"
>
> 363.00user 3.42system 6:09.99elapsed 99%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata
> 0maxresident)k
> 0inputs+0outputs (294major+334minor)pagefaults 0swaps
> [elx@tamriel tmp]$ ls ggordon4-23-02b.*
> ggordon4-23-02b.ogg  ggordon4-23-02b.wav
> [elx@tamriel tmp]$ ll ggordon4-23-02b.*
> -rw-rw-r--    1 elx      elx      20739735 Apr 24 00:20
> ggordon4-23-02b.ogg
> -rw-rw-r--    1 elx      elx      249786412 Apr 24 00:10
> ggordon4-23-02b.wav
> [elx@tamriel tmp]$

> As you can see, it really sucks the cpu power. I was able to operate OK
> while it was running, but I've got a 964 mhz Athlon here.
>
> Sorry it took so long to get back with you, but by the time you asked
> your question, I had already eliminated all wav's on my system; the one
> above I had to generate on purpose so I could get you some decent
> timing  numbers.  I think the result is well worth the intensive time; I
> did'nt notice a lag here, but then I did'nt put any additional stress on
> the cpu either.  A 240 or so meg wav file converted to a 20 meg ogg in a
> little over 6 minutes. :)

It's situations like this that make the nice and renice commands very handy. My
system is a Pentium II 350MHz, which is not a speed daemon by any standard. I
can encode MPEG videos to DivX format using mencoder (part of MPlayer) AND
handle all my web browsing and e-mail at the same time, simply by giving
mencoder a nice value of around 10. It works great when I'm compiling code as
well. Of course, everything is slower, but it's still usable.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

        Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night.
        Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.