On Wed, 24 Apr 2002 13:13:57 +0100 (BST), Dimitris Ioannou <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:> I've tried many times to install the mplayer rpm that
> I d/l from the web (actually, I tried several
> versions) but it seems impossible. It installs itself
> but I can never get it to work.

MPlayer only became GPL a few days ago, and any MPlayer binary RPM that you may
find is likely to be in breach of the old license. There were many reasons for
this, one being that MPlayer needed to be compiled for the system that it was
running on for it to properly work. Source RPMs are fine though.

> The latest incident
> was this that I'm describing below. (That was when I
> tried to install a tarball). After running
> ./configure, when I got to the second step "make" the
> message I got in the console was this...." We are not
> and we will not going to support gcc 2.96...
>                   Mplayer Team...."
> I started laughing when I saw this and after that I
> never tried to install it again since I know 2.96 is
> the compiler of choice for Mandrake (this actually
> means that it's not going to work properly on a
> Mandrake system isn't it? Correct me if I'm wrong).
>
> Any hints would be greatly appreciated Sridhar

The MPlayer developers seem to have developed an allergy to gcc 2.96, but I've
had few problems using it to compile MPlayer. Get the
http://plf.zarb.org/rpm/src/mplayer-0.60-2plf.src.rpm source package. After
making sure that you have all the required libraries (e.g. Ogg Vorbis and LAME)
use "rpm --rebuild mplayer-0.60-2plf.src.rpm" to compile (you may need to be
root). Install the resulting binary RPM, which will probably end up somewhere
under /usr/src/RPM.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

"... if you're a basic PC user thinking about buying XP, don't. It's basically
malware. It harangues you with nagging, fake-friendly reminders to obtain a
Passport and submit to product activation, and treats you like a child when you
try to do anything heretical, like install a device driver of which it
disapproves." -- Thomas C. Greene, "Win-XP vs Red Hat 7.2", The Register
(http://www.theregister.co.uk), 2001-10-30.