On Mon, 22 Apr 2002 13:06:48 -0400
Kirtis Bakalarczyk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> First off i'm using Mandrake 8.1 Standard
>
> KDE is pretty sluggish so i decided to change to a more light weight
> window manager.  So i downloaded and installed FVWM (on a side note, if
> someone could recommend a better one that would be helpful.)
>
> Anyway FVWM installed fine so i restarted X and tried to log in with the
> WM set to FVWM but it just starts up KDE like every other time.
>
> A little help?

After seeing a reference to Fluxbox on this list, I'm using it now. It's
about like Blackbox, but iconified apps get put into something of a
"taskbar" (the toolbar). Also, Fluxbox uses tabs on its windows, so you
can middle/3rd button-click on a tab, drag it to another window, and then
you can switch back and forth by clicking on the tabs. Easily themes and
customized like Blackbox. I've got a screenshot in my gallery (the first
one in Linux screenshots):
http://clevername.homeip.net/gallery/screenshots/. (BTW, I no longer use
the rox filer panel, I just added entries to the Fluxbox menu.)

To log in using Fluxbox, I edited ~/.xinitrc and told it to start fluxbox.
At the graphical login menu, I select "Default," which must read the
.xinitrc file, because I didn't go through the trouble of adding Fluxbox
to the login menu.

I know what you mean about KDE being sluggish. On my AMD K62 @ 500mhz and
384MB RAM, it took about 20 seconds for KDE to start. Blackbox and Fluxbox
take about 3 seconds. And, using ROX filer for when I prefer a gui for
file operations is sooooooo much faster than konqueror.

HTH,
Todd

--
Todd Slater
5:38pm up 2 days, 5:01, 2 users, load average: 0.13, 0.10, 0.05