daRcmaTTeR wrote:

>On Thu, 2 May 2002, Robin Turner wrote:
>
>>On Wednesday 01 May 2002 21:45, Myers, Dennis R NWO wrote:
>>[snip]
>>
>>>I too agree. If I buy a car and drive it till it is rust, I can remove
>>>engine transmission, seats and what ever else is salvageable and sell them
>>>individually. They were part of an integral package to begin with, but I
>>>still can sell off the pieces. Heck, I could sell of the pieces two days
>>>after I bought it brand new, and put some other engine in it. What makes
>>>Windows so special? M$ is as arrogant as any company ever in existance. My
>>>$.02
>>>
>>Not quite.  Back in the 18th and 19th centuries there was the East India
>>Company, which successfully colonised most of the Indian subcontinent, and
>>was only absorbed into the British Empire after a mutiny of its native
>>soldiers resutled in unspeakable carnage. Presumably the moral is that
>>Microsoft should merge with the American government to create MSUSA.
>>
>>Sir Robin
>>

>O, that was foul! just plain below the belt.

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

Well, someone who cannot post to the list because his ISP is out picking
daisies and not supplying reverse resolution sent me a missive pointing
out that no one buys Windows.  It is a license one buys, nothing more.
 A license to use software according to the terms and proscriptions of
the owner, one Microsoft Corporation.

In other words they can put whatever into the license agreement and if
you disagree, your alternative is not to use the license.  You must
agree to the terms to use the license.  There is no legal recourse.  The
only hint of a possible recourse stems from the classification of the
owner as a monopoly, and that classification will vanish as soon as it
loses significant market share.

And if there is reason for it to lose said market share, it will not
likely recover said share any time soon or likely ever, a byproduct of
the chicanery used to place the corporation where it is is that many
people are disgusted but shrug and use the products out of a feeling of
powerlessness.

Civileme