On Monday 06 May 2002 14:55, Michael Adams opened a general hailing
frequency and transmitted to all open stations:

> > > Mandrake won't run on a 486 or 386 as it is compiled for pentiums. I
> > > beleive there is a 486 distro downloadable (from memory).
> >
> > Thanks for the info, much appreciated.  Will see what I can find in the
> > 'net. skinky
>
> There was a thread on that 486 distro either last year or very eary this
> year try the newbie-archives. Alternatively, redhat is compiled AFAIK to
> run on 386 or better. <Michael ducks for cover after suggesting
> altenative distro>

you better bucky!  :P

seriously, does it matter?  i mean try and run XP on a 486, then realize
there is a reason we are fooling with linux...

depending on what you want the machine to do, either
http://dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Operating_Systems/Linux/Distributions/
or
http://dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Operating_Systems/Linux/Distributions/Tiny/
may be a big help to you.

--
"... and if you drown, die knowing you were headed for the shore." -from
farenheight 451

shane
Profile at: http://dmoz.org/profiles/shen.html
Proud to be a DMOZ editor since 10-98