On Sunday 28 April 2002 06:32 pm, you wrote:
> No specific drivers are necessary. If it is an IDE drive you will have to
> enable SCSI emulation if you want to use its burning capabilities. The
> documentation that comes w/XCDROAST is excellent. Being more of a SuSE user
> I don't know whether or not KUDZU would set up the proper settings. Just my
> 2cents worth.
>
> On Sunday 28 April 2002 12:07, you wrote:
> > I have ordered a Sony CDRW to install on a windows/Mandrake 8.1 machine.
> > How do I go about getting 8.1 to recognize and use the drive once I
> > install it? Can anyone tell me where I find out this info?
Actually 8.1 should pick it up as a CDRW once you put it in the box. Mandrake
is getting really good at that as evidenced by 8.2.  Any way, once it is in,
try a console line "cdrecord -scanbus" and it should show you the recorder as
a something or another scilly.  Like this:

[root@dennis dennis]# cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord 1.11a19 (i586-mandrake-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2002 Jörg
Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.22
Using libscg version 'schily-0.6'
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'IOMEGA  ' 'ZIP 100         ' '14.A' Removable Disk
        0,1,0     1) 'LG      ' 'CD-RW CED-8080B ' '1.06' Removable CD-ROM
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *

Let us know, there is more help if I am wrong.
--
Dennis M. linux user #180842