On Fri, 2002-05-17 at 19:21, Thomas Beno wrote:
> I have only recently become acquainted with Linux through Mandrake-Linux
> 8.2.  Is there a Linux version of a media player that will allow one to
> log onto Internet radio stations?  If so, where can I go to download it?
>
> Tom Beno

Everyone on the list here needs to be aware that receiving Windows Media
Streams is not, as of right now, an RPM plug and play deal.  Xmms as it
is installed on the system vanilla will not do it.

You have two options, Tom.  First you can go to sourceforge and download
something called Avi4Xmms, and that will require you to recompile Xmms.

The other thing you can do is to find a copy of Windows Media Player,
version 6 or perhaps older, and try running it with Transgaming Winex or
Codeweavers Wine.  Transgaming is a product that's meant to handle
games, but since it will handle a sophisticated entity such as a directx
game it will also do many other things.  One happens to be running
Windows Media Player.  Check out the following:

http://www.transgaming.com/subscriber_benefits.php

And if you are curious here is a list of games that have been tested
under Winex:

http://www.transgaming.com/dogamesearch.php?keywords=&search=Search&working=2&order=working&showall=1

HTH!  LX

--
Kernel  2.4.8-26mdk     Mandrake Linux  8.1