On Saturday 18 May 2002 02:07 am, you wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-05-17 at 20:50, Carroll Grigsby wrote:
> > Actually, Derek, it's worse than that. From what I've been reading at
> > www.theregister.co.uk, it seems that the UK government is setting up
> > their web sites so that you will not be able to access them unless you
> > are using MicroSoft products. AFAIK, that is not a requirement here. Yet.
> > (Question: Do the UK versions of MS software packages carry Royal
> > Appointment logos like the ones on Bass Ale?)
> >
> > In light of the foregoing discussions on this thread, I hereby nominate
> > that Peruvian senator to be Supreme High Mucky Muck of the Whole World.
> > He's the first politician to show an in-depth understanding of what MS is
> > trying to do. Seconds?
> > -- cmg
>
> You've got a wholehearted second here, Dr Grigsby.  Wonder what the
> climate is like in Peru?
>
> This may not be totally tongue in cheek.
>
> LX

Well, for one thing, in much of Peru, the climate is oxygen-deficient as a
result of the surplus of altitude. Lake Titicaca is at something like 12,500
feet above sea level. Certainly a great place for archeologists, but probably
not much for Linux programmers. (Long-time smokers need not apply).

I've been watching a series on Cablevision by an NCSU professor of archeology
about the Inca civilization and all of the history that came before them.
It's truly amazing stuff. I am not only fascinated by the history and
accomplishments of the people, but also his explanations of how archeologists
do what they do. (Hmmm... maybe he might be able to unravel all of this stuff
on my desk.)

-- cmg