On Thu, 23 May 2002 01:48:10 -0400
David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Damian G said onto me:
> <snip>
>  |this 'resistance' that a given material offers when you try to make an electric
>current
>  |run thru it depends on the length of the path that the electrons should take
> <snip>
>  |p.s. i had a little trouble with my english this time so forgive any inaccuracies
>  |     that you may find. ;o)
>
> Damian,
> I'd like to say that your explanation is one of the best explanations that I have
>heard.  Right on the money, and very easy to understand.

thanks very much.. ;o)

> But I wanna add something.
>
> The strength of the bond between the electrons and the atom (IIRC, proportional to
>the number of free electrons) is also a direct factor in determining resistance.
>
> e.g.  1 foot of rubber has exponentially more resistance than 1 foot of gold

yep that's what i meant when y said
----
and the place lacking electrons, and thus charged positively ) represents the 'medium'
in which the current will travel. it can be air, wood, metal, water, or even void.

but some materials are more resistent to this phenomena. that is, electrons need to be
drawn
by a greater force ( voltage ) to be able to run thru that medium. eventually, with
enough
voltage, electricity can run thru everything.
----

i just didn't want to make it all too complex. ;o)

also, i should add that resistance also depends on the width of that piece of material.
for example, a wire with 0.2mm diameter  and 1 inch long offers more resistance that a
1mm diameter, 1 inch long wire.

this is because all the electrons, having the same negative charge, tend to be as far
away from each others as possible. thus, an electric current traveling thru a wire only
use the outer part of the conducting material. no electrons travel thru the center of
it,
and when the wire is thick, electrons don't repel themselves as much since the bigger
section of the wire makes more space for electrons to get through.

this is why a very thin wire causes electrons to 'crash' too often against the atoms
of the wire, causing further resistance, increase in temperature and therefore sweat,
meltdown, fire, explosions, fireworks, and eventually a new computer... you get the
picture.
better yet if you overclock your computer, this is what may be happening now inside
your proc ;oP

.. uhmm ok ok i'm drifting off, i better cut it off here.

apologize to the people that may be thinking this is not the place to talk about this.

Damian

and remember: 2 + 2 = 5 for extremely large values of 2.

Damian