On Tue, 21 May 2002 17:49:36 +0800
"Stormjumper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> while on the topic of signatures,
> i remember another one in the last
> i didn't understand.
>
>     We are Linux. Resistance is measured in Ohms.

uhmm... physics. ;o)

an electron is a tiny part of an atom that orbits around the atom's core and
that is, so to speak, made of energy. it has a negative charge.

if you split the atom from some of it's electrons, you get, in one hand, a bunch
of electrons ( negative charge ) and on the other, an atom lacking electrons
( thus charged possitively ). opposed charges attract themselves.

.. an electric current ( electricity )  is a stream of free electrons running thru a
phisical medium.
...jumping from one place with a very negative charge to another with a more
possitive charge.  let's say the electrons you were holding in one hand will try
to get back to the atom you got on the other...

everything in between those two places ( the place full of electrons and negative
charge
and the place lacking electrons, and thus charged positively ) represents the 'medium'
in which the current will travel. it can be air, wood, metal, water, or even void.

but some materials are more resistent to this phenomena. that is, electrons need to be
drawn
by a greater force ( voltage ) to be able to run thru that medium. eventually, with
enough
voltage, electricity can run thru everything.

this 'resistance' that a given material offers when you try to make an electric current
run thru it depends on the length of the path that the electrons should take and is
called,
 obviously, 'electrical resistance'  and the unit for measuring electrical resistance
is
the Ohm. ( i.e. 150 meters of copper wire have a resistance of 10 Ohms. 1 meter of
copper
wire have a resistance of 0.1 Ohm.. and so on. )

now, if you take

>"We are Linux. Resistance is measured in Ohms." is derived from "We are The
>Borg. Resistance is futile", which is from Star Trek.

> Sridhar

.. yeah yeah i know this isn't a physics list, but i loooove physics. ;o)

p.s. i had a little trouble with my english this time so forgive any inaccuracies
     that you may find. ;o)

Damian