On Sat May 25th , you wrote:

>Wow, very disappointing!

>I did some testing on your 57 kb file on KSpread 1.1 on Mandrake
>8.1, on
>a 700 MHz machine (AMD) with 256 MB of memory.  (With about 280 rows
>The file took around 30 seconds to load.

>It was easy to convert the file to Gnumeric and comma delimited
f>ormat.
>I don't have Gnumeric on the machine so I couldn't try it.

>I took the comma delimited file to my Windows 95 machine -- 300
>MHz., 64
>MB memory, Excel 97.  Loaded the file into Excel, saved it as a
>native
>Excel file (.xls) -- quit Excel, opened Excel, loaded the .xls file
>in
>about 1 second.

>I did try something else -- I did try two other things:

>   * I tried importing the comma delimited file back into KSpread,
>and
>it was significantly faster.  It took about 10 seconds of machine
>time
>to load up, but this consisted of two 5-second periods -- an
>intermediate menu comes up halfway through the load to allow you to
>specify any necessary options -- you can just hit enter.

>   * I saved the imported comma delimited file from KSpread as a .ksp
>file, and then loaded it -- it took about 14 seconds, and the
>difference
>between that and the original 30 seconds may be an indication of the
>extra time due to colors.

Well I do have gnumeric on my machine and I opened the kspread file
in kspread and saved as gnumeric file , which I then opened in
gnumeric. About 1.5 seconds. However it was not flawless. the
50total,89total,and 200toal columns were duds, every figure gone.

I also remade the colour scheme which is not so delightfully
sensitive as kspread and does not look so nice, however the saved
file reopened in gnumeric in about 1.5seconds.

I would say the developers  at kde resposible for kspread need to
look into this urgently.

John

--
John Richard Smith