On Saturday 25 May 2002 17:01, you wrote:
> John Richard Smith wrote:
> > Well I do have gnumeric on my machine and I opened the kspread
> > file in kspread and saved as gnumeric file , which I then opened
> > in gnumeric. About 1.5 seconds. However it was not flawless. the
> > 50total,89total,and 200toal columns were duds, every figure gone.
>
> I presume you scrolled to the bottom of the file -- I was worried
> the first time I opened the file until I scrolled down -- as you
> know, only one (or two) columns are filled in at the top of the
> file.
>
> > I also remade the colour scheme which is not so delightfully
> > sensitive as kspread and does not look so nice, however the saved
> > file reopened in gnumeric in about 1.5seconds.
> >
> > I would say the developers  at kde resposible for kspread need to
> > look into this urgently.
>
> Yes, I wonder if anybody has filed a bug -- are you willing to try
> it?
>
> Randy Kramer

Randy, you mentioned earlier in the thread about database programmes,
like MySQL.
I find I have MySQL ,it comes with the distro. I installed it and
find that it's a command line programme, and well yes, I know if you
look in mysql --help you will get a list of commands and options etc,
but you know it's a bit like going up to a chef and asking him to
create a dish he has never heard of with nothing but a collection of
ingredients to go by, not even a hint of what combination of command
s to start with. I assume one puts up a shell and begin there. ?

So as it stands I haven't a clue what to do to use the programme.

Now I also wondered whether there was such a thing as a gui front end
to this backend type programme. Anyone got any knowledge ?

Also, I would like to understand, what if any is the difference
between using a spreadsheet programme and using a database programme.
What is the technical difference between them, do they work in
different ways. In the spreadsheet programmes it would seem , the
programme and the data are all loaded into memory, perhaps database
programmes like MySQL work differently ? I don't know !
But if database programmes exist they must offer some technical
advantage, what is it ?

John
--
John Richard Smith