John Richard Smith wrote:
> Randy, you mentioned earlier in the thread about database programmes,
> like MySQL.
> I find I have MySQL ,it comes with the distro. I installed it and
> find that it's a command line programme, and well yes, I know if you
> look in mysql --help you will get a list of commands and options etc,
> but you know it's a bit like going up to a chef and asking him to
> create a dish he has never heard of with nothing but a collection of
> ingredients to go by, not even a hint of what combination of command
> s to start with. I assume one puts up a shell and begin there. ?
>
> So as it stands I haven't a clue what to do to use the programme.

I just responded to one of your other emails, and mentioned that your
spreadsheet is quite small and you should be able to stick with a
spreadsheet for years to come (but something faster than the current
speed of Kspread).

I was somehow envisioning a much bigger spreadsheet, with you perhaps
collecting 10 or 100s of data samples per day -- at this point I'd stick
with a spreadsheet, but you may still wish to learn more about a
database just for general knowledge or possible future use.

One point you mention below is correct -- AFAIK, most spreadsheets load
all their data into RAM memory, a database keeps the data on disk, and
only loads specific things when required -- thus, it can handle much
larger quantities of data.

I learned databases more or less in the dos/Windows world, with things
like dBase III, III+, and IV, Paradox, Rbase, and Access.  They
basically come with a built in GUI (well, maybe that's not a real
accurate statement to make for the earlier things -- not a GUI like
we're used to, but stuff to make it easy to set up programs to interface
to the data without very much programming).  I'm just getting into
Linux, but MySQL and Postgres are more like the raw "database engine"
behind programs (applications) like dBase, Paradox, and Access -- I'm
not aware that they have a GUI front end unless you (or somebody else)
has built one to serve your specific purpose.

Hopefully, someone else can provide additional information.

Randy Kramer