On Sunday 26 May 2002 21:25, you wrote:
> On Sun, 26 May 2002, civileme wrote:
> > Dale Huckeby wrote:
> >>  I appreciate the thought, but no, it doesn't.  I'm NOT having
> >> trouble installing KDE all by myself, or Gnome either, for that
> >> matter.  I've installed 7.2 dozens of times and 8.1 four or
> >> five.  The problem is the way Mandrake 8.1 tries to take over
> >> the desktop.  With 7.2, in Gnome, I could drag and drop icons
> >> from the menus to the desktop, a very nice feature.  With 8.1 I
> >> can't.  When it loads I can see the blue background screen, then
> >> my wallpaper covers it, then another blue screen covers that,
> >> then my wallpaper again covers the whole mess, this time with
> >> the Mandrake icons rather than the ones I'm used to.  And these
> >> icons can't be changed, at least not by the methods I'm used to,
> >> nor can I drag and drop from the menus.  I'm assuming, perhaps
> >> erroneously, that the difference between this and the previous
> >> behavior is the Mandrake_Desk package, which didn't exist in
> >> 7.2.  There are other aggravations, too, but I'll spare you.
> >
> > Ummm, remember what happens in 7.2 if you open some GNOME
> > programs under KDE???  You watch GNOME icons invade your desktop!
> >  In 8.0 that was resolved, (almost) but opening Nautilus and
> > calling for help from WM or KDE again caused the invasion  (OK if
> > you did not invoke help)
>
>   Hmmm.  Your experience is vaster than mine (and I don't use KDE
> that much).  I wasn't aware of these interesting behaviors.
>
> > But you can run without Mandrake Desk if you want, and you can
> > use the local menu editors, too (just NEVER use the Mandrake
> > one).  The operative command is
> >
> > urpme mandrake_desk
> >
> > It will likely take the Mandrake icons with it, but if it does
> > not, you can delete them and they won't come back.
>
>   I might try that, just out of curiosity.  If necessary, how do I
> restore it if I want to?  I realize, of course, I could just delete
> the relevant files in my home directory and start over.  Also, why
> do you say NEVER use the Mandrake menu editor?  I *have* used it,
> although I haven't always been happy with the results.
>
> Thanks,
> Dale
This may not be relevant but I will add my penny's worth of
experience with LM installs and desktops. I have had LM's 7.0, 7.2,
8.1, and now 8.2 in the last couple of years ,nothing with 7.0 and
7.2,but with LM 8.1 + 8.2 I have never experienced anything quite as
strange as previously described, but , I have to say that from time
to time , perhaps 1 in 15 boot ups to desktop you arrive to find your
customary tidy arrangement in Icons spread all over the desktop in
one enormous chaotic jumble. You have to start again, and reboot.
Sometimes you cannot move the icons back to order, every time you try
to do so the icon in question merely flies back to whereever it wants
to as soon as you let go of the hold . I then have to reboot , it
usually clears that problem , but the icons have learnt a new chaotic
jumble and then have to be reordered, and yet another reboot to fix
things in place again. I have never experienced unknown icons
appearing, though.

John

--
John Richard Smith