On Saturday 25 May 2002 05:29 pm, Dale Huckeby opened a general hailing
frequency and transmitted to all open stations:

>   If it's "only" some icons and backgrounds, why does Mandrake threaten
> to uncheck so many other packages, such as GMC and MC, when I uncheck it?
> It's not just 800k of icons and backgrounds.  It's an overall difference
> in behavior between 7.2 and 8.1.  With 7.2 I type in my userid, then my
> password (at the console), and Bam!, I have a prompt.  With 8.1 it takes
> about 10 seconds.  With 7.2, in Gnome, I can put in one of the install
> CDs, double-click on the CD icon, and GMC pops up and in very short order
> I can browse RPMs.  In 8.1 the same actions bring up Nautilus, which is
> a bloated pig of a program, and I wait and wait while it loads the same
> info in about three times the time it takes GMC.  Granted, this is Gnome
> rather than Mandrake per se, but this graphics intensive, take the poor
> dumb user by the hand attitude seems to permeate the latest version.

ah i see, you want the minimul thing.  i got ya now!  i agree, nautilus is a
pig (and i am a bloated kde user most of the time!) i do think that is
partly gnome, but i see you point.

>   In 7.2, for instance, if I wanted to run a program that needed root
> permission while in a GUI as user, up pops a window that lets me type
> in root's password, then the program itself comes up.  Now, after I type
> in root's password,

that sounds like perhaps a missing suid or some such.  i haven't had that
trouble in any version.

> The reason
> I abandoned Microshaft several years ago in the first place was that,
> in addition to MS's outrageous corporate behavior, I got tired of having
> my software dictate to me.

agree there!  though the wizards are getting close to out-o-control there
are signs they are getting smarter.  it is nice to see the kde wizard want
to walk me through everything first boot, but still include the "cancel"
button....

--
"We know what we are, but not what we may become" -William Shakespeare

shane
Profile at: http://dmoz.org/profiles/shen.html
Proud to be a DMOZ editor since 10-98
Mandrake Users Club Member http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/club/