On Saturday 25 May 2002 09:22 am, Dale Huckeby opened a general hailing
frequency and transmitted to all open stations:

>   This is my first post to the list.  Can anyone tell me how to install
> Gnome and Kde, but especially Gnome, without having Mandrake_Desk shoved
> down my throat.  I can't even install Midnight Commander without it, for
> Chrissakes! This is for 8.1.  If I can't get my desktop to be MY desktop,
> I'm going back to 7.2, which unlike 8.1 is lean and mean, or to another
> distro.

if by mandrake_desk you mean the rpm, well it is only some icons and
backgrounds.  don't use them, choose other theme/styles, delete the
mandrake shortcuts, whatever.  but 800k of icons and backgrounds seems like
a poor reason to go back a few versions to me.

--
"one mans theology is anothers belly laugh" -heinlein

shane
Profile at: http://dmoz.org/profiles/shen.html
Proud to be a DMOZ editor since 10-98
Mandrake Users Club Member http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/club/