On Sunday 26 May 2002 03:29, Dale Huckeby wrote:
> On Sat, 25 May 2002, shane wrote:
> > On Saturday 25 May 2002 09:22 am, Dale Huckeby opened a general
> > hailing
> >
> > frequency and transmitted to all open stations:
> >>   This is my first post to the list.  Can anyone tell me how to
> >> install Gnome and Kde, but especially Gnome, without having
> >> Mandrake_Desk shoved down my throat.  I can't even install
> >> Midnight Commander without it, for Chrissakes! This is for 8.1.
> >> If I can't get my desktop to be MY desktop, I'm going back to
> >> 7.2, which unlike 8.1 is lean and mean, or to another distro.

As others have pointed out, 7.2 was a classic, but I'd still consider
going forward rather than back, as a lot of apps now need libraries
which aren't in 7.2, and updating libraries piecemeal is usually more
trouble than it's worth.

> addition to MS's outrageous corporate behavior, I got tired of
> having my software dictate to me.  Well, 8.1 is getting
> uncomfortably close to that same sort of behavior.  It's buggy,
> it's bloated, it's slow, and it's too inclined to take me, the
> user, by the hand because it knows so much better than me what's
> good for me.  Just my subjective impression, of course.  That's why
> I'm seriously considering going back to 7.2, or even Redhat
> (again), or SUSE, or Slackware, or even Debian.

I have to say I didn't like 8.1 much - I have it at work (I'm waiting
for the university to mirror 8.2, as this box doesn't have a CDROM
drive).  The bugs were less Mandrake's fault as a number of
problematic software versions coming together in a kind of negative
symbiosis (supermount was a case in point).

8.2 is pretty good - I'm using it at home but with the 8.0 kernel.
GNOME/sawfish displays some of the silly behaviour with backgrounds
you described, but there's probably a way round it - I couldn't be
bothered because I was only trying GNOME out of curiosity.  KDE 2.2.2
is fine.  I've just installed KDE 3.0 into /opt and it also seems to
be playing nice, apart from the known bug with Konsole and Kicker.
It even saved my old KDE icons and backgrounds.  I'll upgrade it to
3.0.1 when the /opt version comes out (installing over 2.2.2 was a
disaster - I had to uninstall it and reinstall 2.2.2).

In short, like others here, I'd recommend an upgrade rather than a
downgrade.  The download set is, if nothing else, a cheap and
convenient way of getting a lot of new software.

Sir Robin

--
"The reason we come up with new versions is not to fix bugs. It's
absolutely not.

Robin Turner
IDMYO, Bilkent Universitesi
Ankara 06533