Dale Huckeby wrote:
> On Sat, 25 May 2002, shane wrote:
>

>>On Saturday 25 May 2002 09:22 am, Dale Huckeby opened a general hailing
>>frequency and transmitted to all open stations:
>>

>>>  This is my first post to the list.  Can anyone tell me how to install
>>>Gnome and Kde, but especially Gnome, without having Mandrake_Desk shoved
>>>down my throat.  I can't even install Midnight Commander without it, for
>>>Chrissakes! This is for 8.1.  If I can't get my desktop to be MY desktop,
>>>I'm going back to 7.2, which unlike 8.1 is lean and mean, or to another
>>>distro.
>>
>>if by mandrake_desk you mean the rpm, well it is only some icons and
>>backgrounds.  don't use them, choose other theme/styles, delete the
>>mandrake shortcuts, whatever.  but 800k of icons and backgrounds seems
>>like a poor reason to go back a few versions to me.
>

>   If it's "only" some icons and backgrounds, why does Mandrake threaten
> to uncheck so many other packages, such as GMC and MC, when I uncheck it?
> It's not just 800k of icons and backgrounds.  It's an overall difference
> in behavior between 7.2 and 8.1.  With 7.2 I type in my userid, then my
> password (at the console), and Bam!, I have a prompt.  With 8.1 it takes
> about 10 seconds.  With 7.2, in Gnome, I can put in one of the install
> CDs, double-click on the CD icon, and GMC pops up and in very short order
> I can browse RPMs.  In 8.1 the same actions bring up Nautilus, which is
> a bloated pig of a program, and I wait and wait while it loads the same
> info in about three times the time it takes GMC.  Granted, this is Gnome
> rather than Mandrake per se, but this graphics intensive, take the poor
> dumb user by the hand attitude seems to permeate the latest version.

Dale...I hear what you're saying here, however, had you taken a few
extra minutes during the install to carefully inspect the packages
available for the install you'd notice that many, if not all of the
programs you've come to appreciate in 7.2 are available for an 8.1 or
8.2 install. There are just changing "default" programs that are being
used for the newer version.

As for the "take the poor dumb user by the hand attitude seems to
permeate the latest version" thing you mention is the MandrakeSoft
response to a great many new Mandrake users coming from the windows
environment. People have been asking for a more intutive install.
MandrakeSoft, seeking to satisfy the greatest amount of people with what
the "thought" according to the people's choices, were the best and most
wanted choices to populate a default install item list.

As always, with Linux and especially Mandrake Linux, the users get what
they ask for. Moreover the choices that are offered are Still THE best
in all the land.

I've got a Windows XP installation that I'm quite impressed with and
happy with. I've got scads of boxes running Mandrake Linux that
absolutely RULE the roost and one Redhat 7.3 install that I really don't
care for. While attempting to configure this new RH install I found that
many of the old config tools simply aren't there any more in RH. Very
disappointing - back in 1997 I started out the RedHat 5.2 ( After
Mandrake there just isn't anything to compare in my opinion )

If I come across as scolding I really don't mean to. All I mean to say
is that if one takes the time to search out and make the choices that
suit them they really can have the best of all worlds with Mandrake.

Mark