Just to provide another datapoint:

I run three (older) boxes on one UPS rated at 300 VA, 180 Watts.   The
power supplies total 750 watts (IINM (If I'm Not Mistaken) -- 2 200s and
1 350)).   2 cpus are ~300 MHz, 3rd is 700 MHz, all AMD.

I also am looking for protection from short outages (2-60 seconds).  UPS
is Conexant.  Includes an indicator light to show if the UPS is
overloaded -- no indication so far.  One day I will try a fourth system.

BTW, if you live near a Staples, Staples had (and might still have) a
$40 rebate running on two different brand 500 VA UPSs (Conexant and APC,
IIRC), brought the price down to $10.  Nothing fancy like a serial
output to shut down your computer, but will do quite well if you deal
mainly with short outages like I do.

Randy Kramer