On Wednesday 29 May 2002 09:17 am, daRcmaTTeR wrote:
> On Wed, 29 May 2002, Tom Brinkman wrote:
> >      Which file system?  Anyhow, you really should have your
> > system on an UPS if power outages are any more than a very rare
> > occurrence. An UPS will also keep power steady and protect your
> > hardware from spikes and brownouts. While the FS can escape
> > damage, your hardware sometimes can't.

> Just out of curiosity, how many systems can you safely run on one
> UPS?
> Mark

     I've got a Tbird oc'd to 1.55 gig, Cdrom, CD-RW, 2 HDD's, 17"
monitor, and a Altec Lansing subwoofer sound system.... IOW's a real
power hog.  I've got an old APC BackUPS 500 that'll keep it all
runnin for ~15 minutes when the power goes south.  The batteries are
original, and I've not needed to replace 'em, or seen a drop in their
performance.  Just as important, maybe more so tho, an UPS feeds
clean power to the system, no spikes or drops. Very important for
sensitive electronics reliability and performance.

    It's only a 500VA UPS, but plenty for a single desk top system.
Price was $123 some 5 years ago.  They make other UPS systems that
can handle multiple systems, even up to multiple rack servers.
'Course they cost more $$'s.  APC is the preferred brand, but there's
other good ones.  They're heavy, so buyin one locally (I got mine at
Wall*Mart) is probly a better option than buyin online and payin
lot'sa shipping.

    FWIW, since I asked, after 3 experiences with XFS, I'm back to
good 'ol tried'n true ReiserFS for all my Linux partitions. Sort'a
way OT, I got a 350W inverter for $47 from Wally World a few months
ago. It'll run a 19" TV for 5 to 6 hours off the battery in my Chevy
... and then the truck still starts like nothin was drainin it. It's
magic!! So after I have to shut down the computer when the power goes
out .... at least I can still watch TV by candle light  ;)
--
    Tom Brinkman                    Corpus Christi, Texas