On Thu, 2002-05-30 at 10:25, Franki wrote:
> another case in point...
>
> my girlfriend has used only windows at work...
>
> I gave her a windows PC at home for a present.. (the kind that keeps on
> giving, virus's defrag etc.. :-)
>
> two months ago, I told her I was going to swap her to linux.. she said " can
> I still read email and browse web and write documents and make
> spreadsheets...  I said yes.. she said OK... and hasn't had a problem.
>
> its not that hard anymore,, only the install and config are hard...

In most cases, no harder than Windows (admittedly, I'm thinking Windows
9* here, since I haven't ried more recent versions).  The one thing in
Windows' favour from the install point of view is that if your hardware
isn't supported on the installation CDs, it will almost certainly be on
a CD that came with the device, or be easily downloadable, whereas this
tends not to be the case with Linux. A few companies produce their own
Linux drivers (NVIDIA, HP etc.) but for most of them, if the driver (or
something vaguely compatible) isn't in your distro, you're pretty much
screwed.

> I am not a fan of microshaft, but I have to admit that their config and
> add/remove stuff is still better then Mandrake's.. or any other *nix..
> fortunatly thats the only area where they are ahead...

Again, I'm comparing Mandrake 8.2 with Windows 98, which is unfair, but
I find Mandrake somewhat easier to configure, and
installing/uninstalling software in Windows now makes me extremely
frustrated.  Not only can you not do anything else while your software
is being (un)installed, you frequently have to reboot.  Reboot, for
God's sake!

Sir Robin