Dan W. Dooley wrote:
> Can someone explain to me why Linux under KDE or Gnome would run so much
> slower than Windows on the same machine?
>
> An older HP Vectra with a 200 MHz Pent.; 80 meg RAM; two harddrives;
> integrated video.  This machine has had Windows 2000 Server, NT Server 4,
> Linux 8.2, and currently NT and 8.2 on it.  The difference in operation
> (speed wise) between the two MS systems (not trying to praise MS here) and
> Linux is like night and day.  Linux is excruciatingly slow.  From the time I
> click on an icon to do anything, that can be running Control Center, or any
> of the installed apps off of the Linux CD until the app is up on screen is
> several times longer than a comparable app (Explorer or Control Panel, for
> example) under Windows.
>
> Oh yes, previous installs with 8.1, on this machine and 8.1 plus Red Hat on
> another and much faster machine produced the same comparisons.
>
> Ideas?

I won't try to explain -- that would be a major minefield.

I can confirm that this is not an unexpected result.  I have similar
experiences with Win95 and any Linux I've tried.

My recommendation is get more RAM -- a lot more RAM -- a minimum of 256
MB.  (My standard motherboards of many years only support 128 MB, so
I've replaced a few so far -- the others mostly still run Windows for
several reasons.)

Another traditional recommendation is to use a lighter weight window
manager than KDE or GNOME, like ICEWM, BlackBox, ....

Randy Kramer