Something doesn't have to be "just like" something else to work the same
way.  What I mean by "work the same way" is, to be an environment within
which I can run the applications I need to run to fulfill my reasons for
using the computer in the first place.

If my intent is to spend time playing with, tweaking, patching, exploring,
experimenting, etc., then fine, a CLI based OS is probably fine.  If on the
other hand, I want - or need boxes which set there ready and host the
applications I need, and allow me to do so without having to type in a long
string of commands and parameters and whatever each time I want to run one
of the apps, or worse yet, to upgrade a driver or app, I've got to download
some code and go through a compilation process, which may or may not work.

My interest IS looking for a Windows replacement.  Windows (NT, 2000) work
just fine and do everything I want and need them to do.  However, I, like
most if not all of you all have had it up to our ears with MS and their
bull.  I am dead serious in that I think MS needs real competition.  Not
only in the server world but on the desktop as well.  No OS will ever be
serious competition for Windows unless it can be a viable "replacement" for
Windows.  And no, you can't use Linux "instead" of Windows unless you can do
with it what you can with Windows.  I've got a well functioning domain
network here at my house running 2000 Server and previously NT Server
hosting several other computers, running 24/7 with none of the claimed MS
crashes.  So, my expectations for a replacement OS are very high.

Sorry for the rant, folks but this has been a sore point for me for a long
time.

Dan W. Dooley  WB5TKA  Bedford, Texas
   e-mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   Web address: http://www.qsl.net/wb9tka