> Long time ago.  Loki had a good idea, and put out some good products (I
> have their Railroad Tycoon still) but the market wasn't ready.  As a
> software developer I once contacted (in the hope that he might consider
> porting to Linux) said, Linux users are generally pretty stingy about
> software.  Getting all that stuff free (as in beer as well) makes you
> stop and think about paying $50 for a game. The other factor is that
> most Linux gamers have Windows on their boxes as well, so there is no
> point in their buying Linux versions (except to avoid the minor
> irritation of having to reboot).  This is more pertinent in a lot of
> countries where you can buy any Windows game for $3 on the street (I
> sometimes think penguinistas should support moves to stamp out software
> piracy, as this would kill the Windows monopoly in most of the world).
>
> So for now, RIP Loki.  But I'm sure in a few years' time either a
> similar compnay will start up, or existing games companies will start
> producing Linux versions themselves.

Well............ There is a growing number of games that do work in Linux
already...

Doom
Quake
Quake 2 (apparently)
Quake 3 Arena
Unreal Tournament
Unreal
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
and soon: NEVERWINTER NIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I know I know, I missed a few)

So... Companies are starting to support us. Now we need to support them.

Now, I totally DISAGREE with the whole "Linux users are stingy bastards"
point you and that software developer make.

I bought approximately 90 to 100 games during 2001, and if there were Linux
games in that great a number, I would be buying them in quantities like that
now.

However, I got lucky that out of those 90+ games I bought last year that 4 of
them now work in Linux... At the time I didn't know any better though... I
was still using Windows as my primary OS, but I switched in October (and so
did my wife :) ). I should have saved my money... So now I am selling my
games. :(  (http://games.dolson.cjb.net/)

Anyhow, I would GRATEFULLY pay $50 for games that run on Linux. If I could
buy a Linux version or a Windows version, which would I buy?????? It would be
absolutly stupid to purchase Windows games if you are a Linux user.

I think that this is a wussy approach and is a programmer's only way out now
- before it was that Linux wasn't a major player, now it's that we're all too
cheap... I can't believe that you would stand for that kind of trash
talk!!!?!?!

I wrote BioWare and told them that if they DON'T put the Linux version onto
shelves that I won't be buying it. They assured me that it would be... And in
the same box as the Windows AND MAC versions!

NOW THAT'S HOW IT OUGHT TO BE.

I am paying $80 for this game as soon as it comes out. Thanks for recognising
us, BioWare!!!!!!! I love you!