D. Olson wrote:

>So... Companies are starting to support us. Now we need to support them.
>
>Now, I totally DISAGREE with the whole "Linux users are stingy bastards"
>point you and that software developer make.

Well, I didn't say that _all_ Linux users were stingy, but that is the
reputation we have, and I think there is something in it.  Actually,
where I live it doesn't really apply, because pirated software is the
rule - when I point out to people that, for example, you can get
OpenOffice (Win or Lin) with a $3 computer magazine, they say "But
that's the same as I'd pay for MS Office."

>I bought approximately 90 to 100 games during 2001, and if there were Linux
>games in that great a number, I would be buying them in quantities like that
>now.

I wish I had your salary. 100 games at $50 a piece is $5000.  That would
be a third of my net income.

>Anyhow, I would GRATEFULLY pay $50 for games that run on Linux.

Actually, I nearly did it once on principle, but then Loki went bust
(and it's a serious principle here - $50 is ten bottles of raki).

>I think that this is a wussy approach and is a programmer's only way out now
>- before it was that Linux wasn't a major player, now it's that we're all too
>cheap... I can't believe that you would stand for that kind of trash
>talk!!!?!?!

Well, the programmer involved was working for a university with a tight
budget (the program was Hot Potatoes, BTW).  They were happy to support
Windows development because it would reach a lot of people, and Mac
development because that it what they used most, but the attitude was,
"If Linux users want it, they can pay us to develop it - but they
won't."  The actual program was free (as in beer, but not as in speech).

>I wrote BioWare and told them that if they DON'T put the Linux version onto
>shelves that I won't be buying it. They assured me that it would be... And in
>the same box as the Windows AND MAC versions!
>
>NOW THAT'S HOW IT OUGHT TO BE.
>
>I am paying $80 for this game as soon as it comes out. Thanks for recognising
>us, BioWare!!!!!!! I love you!

Good on you!

Sir Robin