Bill Davidson wrote:

>On Tue, 11 Jun 2002 18:27:40 +0800
>"Franki" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>      Hi guys...
>>
>>when did this happen??

Long time ago.  Loki had a good idea, and put out some good products (I
have their Railroad Tycoon still) but the market wasn't ready.  As a
software developer I once contacted (in the hope that he might consider
porting to Linux) said, Linux users are generally pretty stingy about
software.  Getting all that stuff free (as in beer as well) makes you
stop and think about paying $50 for a game. The other factor is that
most Linux gamers have Windows on their boxes as well, so there is no
point in their buying Linux versions (except to avoid the minor
irritation of having to reboot).  This is more pertinent in a lot of
countries where you can buy any Windows game for $3 on the street (I
sometimes think penguinistas should support moves to stamp out software
piracy, as this would kill the Windows monopoly in most of the world).

So for now, RIP Loki.  But I'm sure in a few years' time either a
similar compnay will start up, or existing games companies will start
producing Linux versions themselves.

Sir Robin