I don't know what copy protected audio cd from sony you refer to, but I'm
curious.. what are we talking about and fill in what band with a pen...???

I bought the PC game "Harry potter and that stone thing" for my neice.. she
scratches CD's, (she is young) I wanted to make a backup CD and give her
that, but when I tried no software that read the disk to copy it would
work...

They all complained that there was an error reading the disk..

a bit of investigating later and I found there is a tmp file in the root
directory of that cd that has an error, I think its an intentional error
designed to stop replication except by stamping. so I copied the whole CD to
the hard drive, (except for that file, I replaced the bad tmp file with an
empty one, and copied the whole lot back to a bland CD..

The game will install from it, but it won't play the game from it, it asks
for the original CD..

So there you go, our write to make backups has been taken from us as well.
(I can't affordc a stamper)

rgds

Frank