On Sat, 22 Jun 2002 21:30:09 -0500
Dennis Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi all, I bought a PNY compact flash card reader, usb type and had seen where
> several folks were able to use it on Mandrake 8.2.  I tried mounting it but
> it is not coming up. I used mount -t  vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/compactflash
> reply is  /mnt/compactflash does not exist.  What or how do I create a mount
> point for the card reader and how do I find out what it's device name is?
> Harddrake doesn't tell me, just says unknown.  Hate to take it back the
> package is a pain to put back together. TIA for any help.
> --
> Dennis M. linux user #180842

Did you actually make a directory under /mnt called compactflash?  If so, your mount
command should work (assuming you don't have other SCSI devices, in which case, your
reader might not be sda1).  Assuming your reader actually is sda1 and you have created
the directory compactflash under /mnt, you can add the following line to your
/etc/fstab file:
  /dev/sda1 /mnt/compactflash vfat noauto,user

Then you can just say mount /mnt/compactflash and it should work.  BTW, the noauto
tells linux not to automatically mount it at startup, since it will generate an error
unless the flash card is actually in it.  The user allows a regular user to
mount/unmount it.

Joe