> I know that Alsa and another sound system (forgot its name at present) should
> not be run in tandem, but what else is there?

I don't think there's an ad hoc list, but there are certain things
you wouldn't want to try and use together -- like sendmail and postfix;
i's pretty obvious that you can only choose one mta and not try and
install both. But in order to come to that realization, obviously you
would havfe to konw what 'sendmail' and 'postfix' are in the first
place.

Obviously you shouldn't try to install 'everything' as you normally only
need one of each type of software (except for games maybe) :) like one
editor, one mail reading agent, one database thing (mysql or postgres?)
and so forth.

But I think (at least for me) this is something learnt by osmosis, and
not something codified somewhere. I haven't tried a full install in
Mandrake - I would go for a 'workstation' or a 'server' install and then
select additional packages from the list. And then, I'd notice I'm
missing something or other, and then go back and install it :). And, I
may have commented about this sometime or other -- inasmuch as I like
many others, come from a DOS / Windows background, and apart from the
standard suite of "traditional" Unix utilities, many Linux apps have
somewhat wierd looking names which don't immediately convey their
intended function.

I used to run Redhat, and I botched my first Mandrake install somewhat,
because I neglected to start from a clean state with /var - and that's
where Redhat's rpm database was. Silly me :). I thought at first that
the install puked because there were a lot of things that didn't get
installed right, little utilities, things like 'patch' were missing,
stuff like that.